Map shows trails in York County
- Massabesic Experimental Forest — Miles of trails, including some blazed, in this large tract of forest. The Charles E. Swett trail, one of the marked paths, is an easy .5-mile walk to a lake.
- Shaker Woods Reserve Trail — An easy 2-mile walk to the shores of the Mousam River.
- Shrine Trail — A one-mile loop on the grounds of a Christian order, what was once the former home of Alfred’s Shaker community.
- Ricker Field — You can do a very short walk along the river, on the edge of a hayfield, at the Three Rivers Land Trust’s headquarters. I’m not sure if there is an official path, since we visited after a big snowstorm (when it was really beautiful!).
- Sousa Family Preserve — A 2-mile loop on this 213-acre preserve takes you through woods, and the hills will give you a bit of a workout.