View larger map
Map shows Kennebec County
- Vassalboro Wildlife Habitat — You can go for a lovely, shortish walk here along Webber Pond.
- Sewards Mills Conservation Area — A short loop along a sylvan stream. It was a bit hard to tell where to park in winter.
- Annie Sturgis Sanctuary — You have to catch this preserve when it’s open, from April 1 to October 1. Come in the spring for the flowers, including wild ginger. The 1.5-miles of trails were a bit scruffy when I visited, but easy to follow.
- Davidson Nature Preserve — A 97-acre preserve with gorgeous meadows filled with birdsong. There are also blueberry fields and a fen with a heron rookery. No dogs allowed.
- Spectacle Pond — You can access this quiet, undeveloped pond, a nice place to swim, from either Cross Hill Road or Church Hill Road. (Some people drive all the way in from Church Hill Road.) Then, you can walk on unmarked multiuse paths around the pond and Alonzo H. Garcelon Wildlife Management Area.
- Vassalboro Town Forest Trail — A 1-mile trail system, in which you can do two smaller loops, behind the recreational fields.
- Vassalboro Community School Trail — A .4-mile trail, used by schoolchildren, with a boardwalk into the woods.