View larger map
Map shows Kennebec County
- Vassalboro Wildlife Habitat — You can go for a lovely, shortish walk here along Webber Pond.
- Sewards Mills Conservation Area — A short loop along a sylvan stream. It was a bit hard to tell where to park in winter.
- Annie Sturgis Sanctuary — You have to catch this preserve when it’s open, from April 1 to October 1. Come in the spring for the flowers, including wild ginger. The 1.5-miles of trails were a bit scruffy when I visited, but easy to follow.
- Davidson Nature Preserve — A 97-acre preserve with gorgeous meadows filled with birdsong. There are also blueberry fields and a fen with a heron rookery. No dogs allowed.
- Spectacle Pond — A .7 unblazed path takes you to the edge of quiet Spectacle Pond, where people have made a little clearing and firepit.
- Vassalboro Town Forest Trail — A 1-mile trail system, in which you can do two smaller loops, behind the recreational fields.
- Vassalboro Community School Trail — A .4-mile trail, used by schoolchildren, with a boardwalk into the woods.