View larger map
Map shows trails in Cumberland County
- Stroudwater Trail — You can walk along the the brook here for four miles, if you want to go all the way to Smiling Hill Farm. Dogs allowed.
- Presumpscot River Trail, Riverton Section — Another river trail, pretty and surprisingly quiet, except for the sound of ducks and songbirds! The trail supposedly goes all the way to Warren Avenue.
- Presumpscot River Preserve — A beautiful walk along the river, to overlooks of falls and some great riverside rocks. All told you can get in a 4ish-5ish mile walk. Dogs allowed.
- Evergreen Cemetery and Baxter Woods — You can walk nearly five miles here, with your dog, through the trails behind the cemetery (and through the cemetery), and across the street to Baxter Woods. Good birding, turtle spotting.
- Capisic Brook Trail — A wee half-mile trail near a pretty brook. Dogs allowed.
- Fore River Sanctuary — This is a beautiful and historic spot in Portland, with saltmarsh/freshwater lowlands and a sweet waterfall, the biggest in the city. You can walk three miles, four miles?, if you do a loop and side legs. The problem is there are no good walking maps at the kiosk, although Portland Trails has put up some sign posts. Dogs allowed.
- Old City Landfill and Quarry Run Dog Park (also called Ocean Avenue Recreation Area) — Walk around or over the old landfill, now a benign seeming, flower-encrusted meadow, to reach quiet wooded trails, to do a three-ish mile hike. There is no good map at the kiosk, so try to keep track of where you are. Best place to park is the dog park. Dogs allowed! And are they!
- Lyseth School Trail and Pine Grove Park — This is just a little trail, connecting the school to a scrappy park. Dogs allowed.
- Eastern Prom and Back Cove trail — A really popular, really lovely long bike and running path that connects the Old Port to the Back Cove. Dogs allowed.
- Canco Woods — A small, urban woods, with a bit of wetland. It has a few trails linking adjacent neighborhoods. Dogs allowed.
- Riverside Golf Course — A groomed 4.5-mile track for nordic skiing and snow shoeing in the winter.