Map shows trails in Piscataquis County. Park trails below.
Mountains, south part of the park
- Mt. O-J-I — Four miles up to an open ridge with beautiful views, especially of Doubletop Mountain. The 3,434-foot summit has no views. The climb is not too steep, except for a short section close the ridge line, but there are some tricky scrambles up boulders near the summit.
- Sentinel Mountain — One of the easier hikes in the park, about 2.8 miles one way from Kidney Pond. The summit is 1,842 feet.
Mountains, north part of the park
- Horse Mountain — A relatively easy hike that can be as quick as 1.6 miles one way, with glorious views from a spur trail.
- Trout Brook Mountain — A 3.5-mile loop, with a steep ascent and descent, to a 1,767-foot mountain with stunning ridge views.
- Barrell Ridge — Another relatively moderate hike, 3.3 miles one way from South Branch Pond Campground, to an open summit with views.
- North Traveler and Traveler Mountain Loop — Very strenuous, rugged 10.6 mile loop. Be ready for inclement conditions and high-elevation exposure.
- South Branch and Black Cat Mountain Loop — A challenging 6.6-mile loop, with great views of Katahdin, and much of the park really, from Black Cat Mountain.
- Burnt Mountain — A relatively easy 1.3-mile hike to great southerly views of the park’s high peaks.